Thursday, August 23, 2007

I know I owe the blog about a million posts about Michigan. They are coming up...very soon. I just need to get something off of my chest. I found a wonderful feministy blog yesterday thanks to my library superfriend. It was referencing whether your should address the a**holes who think they have perfect reason to challenge your feminism because they are men and they know better than you...of course....poor little girl.

Twisty talked about the lack of necessity for engaging....in a much more elaborate way then I could right now. I agreed. Then today I did it....I didn't say all the things I wanted to say...and I felt horrible. I was telling someone I work with that I plan to change my major to Women's Studies. He replied, "I study women." Big sigh. I called him trite and typical. He tried to explain to me that it was true because he did marriage counseling. I guess this implies that marriages are all in trouble because of women. I asked well who do you read...He said, "myself" Another sigh. He was getting defensive and said that he read about counseling in self help books. (Yes this is really professional and academic) He thinks one of them was written by a woman but he can't remember her name.

I am still angry about it. I called him on it but not as much as I wanted to. I have mentally come up with a list of dozens of ways that one little phrase is wrong. "I study women" I should have said that I study sexist jerks and we should make an appointment to talk some time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home